Wednesday, September 23, 2015

last week's food wins//vegetarian, WHAT?!

Clint and I like meat. Like really like it. We eat it every dinner. Meat and a side. But ya know what? Meat is expensive. And according to Forks Over Knives, it's not even that good for you. I decided to leave it out of several meals this week. Not only did I get food for an entire 7 days (plus some) for under $100 (details next week. Hint: Aldi), we didn't even miss it!

One night I tried Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce from The Pioneer Woman.


This was super easy to make and really tasty! I started the sauce and then just let it do its thing while I put Reuben to sleep and by the time I was done, it was ready to move on to the next step. I substituted greek yogurt in for heavy cream to save some serious calories and add in some more protein. Just swap out a cup of yogurt for the cup of cream. Worked like a charm and saved over 700 calories.

I'm not sure you caught that. A simple swap saved over SEVEN. HUNDRED. CALORIES. 

Next up was Crock Pot Potato Soup


Ok, technically we did have some bacon in this, but leave that off and it's meat-free! This took a little bit more work than my regular crock pot potato soup because I used fresh potato instead of frozen hash browns, but it was tastier, so totally worth it. Again, I swapped out heavy cream for greek yogurt. I left out the thyme because Aldi didn't have it and I didn't want to buy a ton of it for one recipe. We didn't miss it at all.

Fun Florida story. I told Clint I had decided to make this soup for dinner and that he should invite someone over because we had plenty. He mentioned it to our friend, Kevin, who said, "What's potato soup?"

WHAT'S POTATO SOUP?!

Then he asked a few more people in the office and NONE OF THEM HAD EVER HAD IT BEFORE. Kevin's wife, Brittany, had it one time at a restaurant, but that's it. Apparently this is a southern thing that has not quite made it down here? We'll be happy to start the introductions.

The last, and absolutely most surprising one, was Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Cilantro-Lime Sauce.


Guys, this. was. DELICIOUS. I can't get over how much I loved it. We all loved it. Reuben ate it happily, too! The beans were rich and delicious and the sauce had an amazing zing to it. The filling can't get easier. Literally two cans of beans, a cup of salsa, and some cumin heated and smushed together. Reuben could've made dinner if he could use a can opener. We added a pinch of cheese and used flour tortillas because Aldi didn't have corn, but it would've been gluten free and vegan and just as delicious without that. Clint made some breakfast tacos for lunch over the weekend and added some of the leftover sauce to them and it took them to a whole new level. 

If you or anybody in your family is skeptical of meat-free meals, I seriously encourage you to try the tacos out and see what they think. 



Clint and I have decided we're going to cut our meat consumption down to 3 times a week and see how it goes. I want to make sure we're replacing it with good, nutritious food and not just carbs on carbs on carbs. It will be a challenge, but Pinterest absolutely helps! Check out all my boards here. I just pinned a vegetarian crock pot pin that looks like I hit the motherload. I can't wait to try some out and tell y'all about them!

Have you ever been surprised by a meat free meal? Have any favorites I should try? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment