Wednesday, September 9, 2015

last week's food wins

I'd never claim to be a fantastic cook. I try, but my go to will always be pan fried chicken and pasta because that's what I ate 90% of my childhood. #pickyeater

Pinterest is my go-to for new recipes. Sometimes they're a hit, other times they're a BIG ol' miss. Last week was FULL of wins for me. Every dinner, Clint raved about how yummy it was. Reuben, not so much. His toddler taste buds will get there, I'm sure.

First one was Wednesday. Steak salad. Gosh, I wanted to eat that entire 16 oz of sirloin all by myself. It was THAT GOOD.


I've never cooked a steak in my life. I did some research (AKA googled) and saw there were a ton of different ways. I took a bunch of them and combined them to what sounded best to me. First, I set the steak out to get to room temp, dried it really well, and did a very generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and kosher salt. Then,  I got our nonstick pan suuuuuuuper hot, sprayed it with a little cooking spray, and stuck the steak in there. Three minutes on each side and a couple on the fatty side to get it to render off, and we were left with this. It was melt in your mouth good.

Reuben didn't love it. He said "Oh! I try steak!... Oh. I no like that." We'll try again, little guy. Clint said it was one of the best steaks he's ever had. BAM.

Cut up some zuchinni, shred some carrots, roast a little corn, and toss in some shredded cheese on top of your spring mix. Dinner. Is. Served.

The next night we did greek yogurt pancakes.


I fried up some turkey bacon and scrambled some eggs to go with these. I doubled the recipe to make sure we had some leftover for the next few days of breakfast. They're delicious popped in the toaster! I added some chocolate chips to a few since we were out of syrup and we gobbled them up. And guys, they've got greek yogurt in them. Instantly healthy.

I'd say the creme de la creme were these turkey and zucchini burgers.


I used sweet onion instead of red onion and used a little more zucchini than it called for, but it still tasted great and I was able to make 6 patties instead of 5. They seared beautifully and cooked really quickly. We put them on some pretzel buns I'd found at aldi. YUM. We ate the again the next night, they were THAT good.

Tell me, what have your dinner wins been lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment